Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Advertise where the people are...


Doin' the radio spot on 96.9 the Eagle Posted by Hello


This year we did something a little different...I don’t know if you heard the ad or not, but we stepped out in faith and decided to advertise for our Easter services on the Eagle, classic rock station. There were a number of things that prompted us to do this. One, everyone who advertises on Christian radio is targeting Christians for Easter. That seemed rather odd to us that we target Christians...they know where to go right? But what about the non Christian? What does he or she listen to? What station does Caldwell Cal / Christy listen to each day? That was one of the reasons we choose to advertise on the Eagle. The Eagle is one of the top listened to radio stations in Canyon County. Therefore the audience we reach is much broader than those who listen to Christian radio.
Secondly, we didn’t think that we would get a spot on a station such as this, and yet, God was the one who orchestrated this so well. Not only were we able to secure a spot, but I was able to say the reason to come and join us was to celebrate that Jesus is risen from the dead! No political correctness was given to me. I read the spot, I waited for a response, and the engineer said, “Sounded great to me”. Wow! God is truly great! Lastly, and this is connected with the first part, the apostle Paul reminds us to “...be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life,…” Philippians 2:15-16. Indeed, we have to be lights in the world, and our lights will shine brighter when we are in places of darkness. Thank you Lord for this opportunity to be a light.

8 comments:

Mike Lewis said...

So Awesome!!!

Neil said...

Sweet! Way to go. (So, did Cal & Christy show up? :) "Christy" seems like an especially appropriate name!)

All for the Kingdom! He IS Risen!

rebecca marie said...

oh. my. word. Troy Hooper. Like, from linwood c of c Troy Hooper. Holy Moley. You may remember me as the little blonde girl, Becky Holden. hee hee. What an amazing world the internet is. By the way..... I married Gary Mitchell's locker partner.... Oh, and Janni lives in Bend, oh, and my husband and I still hang out with Holly Edwards, oh, and I see Brenda Bradshaw at my son's little league practice, oh, and my sister-in-law is Sue Wood (like, of Scott and Steve Wood fame....)... oh, and.......

Tim said...

Good stuff Hoop! What a way to reach the pre-Christians in the area! I'm in South Salem with a church plant trying to figure out ways to reach the community. Maybe we should look into using radio.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hoop!

Great Idea! So do you still advertise on the Eagle? Or was that a once a year thing?

Hoop said...

I hope for it to be an annual thing. I can't see why we'd want to advertise anywhere else. The numbers for our weekend were higher than I expected so, I think it showed we chose the right path.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Troy for being who you are!
I love that verse (Phil. 2:16).
Easter was awesome this year, to God be the glory! Angela usually comes with me to church on Easter Sunday, but this year Shy came also, I was shocked to the point of tears to see my daughters family all come together to worship. (remember Shy said once that he would not attend church anywhere except the Baptist Church). I do not care were my family chooses to attend church, the important trhing is that they attend somewhere. It was heart warming to watch Shy that Sunday as he not only was in attenance but he particapated in the service we was really ingaged. He sang with his hand lifted up to the Lord. My heart sang with joy. Then to top things off this year for Mothers Day my gift from Angela and Shy was a ceramic Lighthouse candle holder with the inscription "Shine Your Light and Guide Me Through". They both thanked me for being an example for them and they vowed to me that they would find a church home and would be in regular attendance in New Jersey.
You have no idea Troy whay an impact your sermon at their wedding had on Shy. He mentions you offten.

In Him,
Your Sister and Friend,
Lois Ann

Anonymous said...

Lois Ann-wondering where they got that lighthouse??? Been looking for the exact thing and no luck anywhere if get this please repost on here. I would SOOOO appreciate it. Looking for it for a gift for a friend. Thanks